Associate Professor of Educational Technology (Adjunct, Shanghai Jiaotong U; EBTIC-UAE Abu Dhabi, research fellow)
San Diego State University,
San Diego, CA 92182-1182
(T)619.594.3878 (f)619.594.6376, firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Missouri-Columbia (Ph.D. in Information Science and Learning Technologies); The Pennsylvania State University (M.A. in Comparative Literature); Peking (Beijing) University (B.A. in Chinese Language and Literature; Archeology)
Research Interests and Grants
- Mobile cloud learning and intelligent learning systems
- iLearning on iCampus (intelligent): an EBTIC initiative, British Telecom-Abu Dhabi
- Best practices in teaching large online or hybrid classes
- Designing teaching and learning for the Global audience
- Creating Online Tests and Course Materials for Foreign Languages, LARC
- Creative Science foundation (member)
Recent & upcoming conferences
- Keynote, Intelligent environment 2012 (Guanajuto, Mexico); Intelligent Campus Symposium 2012 (MaCau)
- Publication chair, Intelligent Campus Symposium 2012 (MaCau, China)
- Invited, IEEE seminar, UAE-Khalifa University (Jan. 2012): from classroom to cloud
- Organizer & EDTEC chair, Intelligent environment 2011 (U.K.) and 2010 (Malaysia); also the iCampus workshop
- Program committee, International Conference on Computer Supported Education 2011 (Netherlands), 2012 (Portugal), & 2013 (Germany)
- Invited Panelist, the California Council on Teacher Education (San Diego)
- Invited VIP speaker (mLearning), China Enterprise e-Learning Forum and Expo (2010, Beijing)
- Invited Presenter & session chair, International conference on Hybrid Learning (2010, Beijing), 2009 (Macau), 2008 (Hong kong)
- Program committee, Mobile learning 2011 (Beijing)
- Program committee, Creative Sciences 2011 (U.K.), and 2012
- Invited speaker, ICICT 08 (International Conference of Information and Communication Technology), Cario, Egypt
- Advisor for learnclub.org, an organization promoting international exchanges
Major Publications copies available upon request (Scholar.google.com)
Results from Microsoft Academic Search
- Machun, P., Trau, C., Zaid, N., Wang, M. J., & Ng, J. (2012). Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) and a new design framework: Mobiligogy. Intelligent Campus Symposium, December, MaCau, China.
- Wang, M. J. (2012). Message design for mobile learning. British Journal of Educational Technology.
- Teall, E., & Wang, M. J. (In Press). A Synthesis of current mobile learning guidelines and frameworks. Internationl Journal on E-Learning.
- Novak & Wang. (2011). Looking in, looking out: Augmented reality in mobile learning. (Book chapter)
- Shen, R. M., Wang, M. J., Novak, D. (2009). Mobile Learning in a large blended computer science classroom: System function, pedagogies, and their impact on learning. IEEE Transactions on Education.
- Rogers, P. C., & Wang, M. J. (2009). Cross-cultural issues in online learning. In P. Rogers, & G. Berg (Eds), Encyclopedia of Distance Learning (2nd ed), (pp. 527-536). PA: IGI publishing.
- Tan, L., & Wang, M. J. (2010). Best practices in teaching online or hybrid courses: A synthesis of principles. Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- Shen, L., Wang, M. J., & Shen, R. (2009). Affective e-Learning: Using "Emotional" data to improve learning in pervasive learning environment. Educational Technology & Society.
- Wang, M. J., & Shen, R. M. (2008). The impact of mobile Learning on student learning behaviors and performance. British Journal of Educational Technology.
- Shen, R. M., Wang, M. J., & Pan, X.Y. (2008). Increasing interactivity in blended classrooms through a cutting-edge mobile learning system. British Journal of Educational Technology.
- Wang, M. J.(2007). Designing engaging online courses for students of diverse cultural bakcgrounds. British Journal of Educational Technology.
- Wang, M. J. & Kang, M. (2006). Cybergogy of engaged learning through ICT: A framework for creating learner engagement. Book Chapter. Recognized as a new Instructional Design Model by EdutechWiki.
- Yu, S. Q., & Wang, M. J. (2006). Modern Distance Education Project for the Rural Schools (MDEPRS) of China : Recent development and problems. Journal of Computer-Assisted Learning .
- Co-author of book--A Critical analysis of the U.S. Media. Beijing : Chinese Social Sciences Press, 1996. National bestseller in 1997 (China), reviewed and commented by Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, and CNN.
Life: Creative Writing, Flamenco (SDSU Smith Retical Hall, Guanajuanto Mexico)
Photos: Hometown Village |Beautiful China ||Micronesia 09 | IE12 Keynote|
Photography: Pohnpei Double Rainbow; Magnificant Rome (published in a National Photo Magazine in China)
"Listen to and act on your inner wisdom, you are guided to a life beyond your wildest dreams."--Take Time for Your Life.
If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imaged, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours" --Henry David Thoreau